The City of Duncanville will be hosting a Halloween Celebration event this year, however, it will not be our traditional Boo Bash event and it will be on a much smaller scale. The Duncanville Recreation Center will instead be hosting our very first Halloween Spooky Chalk-Off Contest!
This year’s event will be held on Saturday, October 24, 2020, at the Recreation Center – East parking lot. Each participant will be assigned an 8′ X 16′ parking space where they will create a Halloween-themed work of art … in chalk!
Space will be limited to the first 46 participants.
Registration is required for all participants.
Event Date: Saturday, October 24, 2020
Event Time: 11:00 AM – 2:00 PM
Event Location: Recreation Center – East Parking Lot
Safety measures: For the safety of our participants, this event will be COVID-19 compliant and will be held outdoors allowing for 6-foot social distancing. There will be one empty parking space between each art display, masks will be required, and participants, family, and friends will be asked to remain together in their area and not mingle with others outside their group.
- Family – 8′ X 16′ parking space; up to 4 people – to include children ages 2 to 7.
- Youth – 8′ X 16′ parking space; up to 4 people – ages 8 to 17.
Material Restrictions: Only water-based chalk paints are permissible. The Recreation Center will provide a limited amount of chalk while supplies last. We encourage participants to bring their own chalk.
Space Assignment: 46 spaces available. Each parking space is 8′ X 16′. The spots will be numbered and assigned to each participant by a Recreation Attendant. Participants will be spaced one parking space apart to adhere to social distancing. Please note that some parking spaces may have cracks or texture variations.
Registration/Sign-up: To register, download the fillable form and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or visit us at the Recreation Center – 201 James Collins Blvd., Duncanville, Texas 75116. Check-in will begin at 10:30 am at the pavilion in the Recreation Center parking lot. Artists may prep their spaces as early as 7 am, but art creation cannot begin until 11 am. Any artist failing to check-in by 10:30 am will forfeit their space. You must register to participate.
Registration Deadline: Wednesday, October 21, 2020
Parking: All participants must park at the D.L. Hopkins Jr. Senior Center – East parking lot.
Prizes: Award winners will be selected and announced on the same day. The winner must be present to claim his/her prize at 3 pm.
- Drawings must remain within the designated square area. Drawings on buildings, trees, or any other surface are strictly prohibited.
- This is a family-friendly Halloween event. Artwork containing nudity, profanity, political or content deemed inappropriate by the Halloween committee will be removed and the artist will be disqualified from the contest.
- Only artist-made templates are permissible
- The use of flammable or offensive odors may not be used.
Failure to comply by these rules or guidelines may be grounds for dismissal.
- Use chalk sparingly. Build up your layers, starting with a very light layer on the bottom.
- Some artists prefer to lay all their undertones first. Some prefer to work top to bottom. We recommend outlining all major elements first.
- A big chalkboard eraser works great for laying down large areas of color. Moving the eraser in a circular motion works best.
- Using a paintbrush is also helpful when filling large areas.
- If you’re a first-timer, consider using one object as the focal point of your artwork – a face, a frog, etc. Small details are difficult to manage on a rough surface – so think BIG & DRAMATIC.
- The more you work with chalk on concrete, the more comfortable you will become. So, practice on the driveway at home.
Things you can bring: Blanket, chair, knee pads to stay comfy while you draw, sketches, or inspirations pieces to guide your chalk design and water and snacks to enjoy if you take a break.
Small bags of candy will be provided by the Recreation Center.
Cancellation: In case of inclement weather, the event will be canceled with no rescheduled date.
For more information please contact the Recreation Center Front Desk at 972-780-5070 or email us at email@example.com.